Sunday, January 21, 2007

Writing as Technology Show and Tell


Well this project certainly made me think. I first tried thinking of things I could find outside of my apartment, but seeing as how snow and ice cover most items that would be even remotely useful, I chose to check out the fruits and vegetables while I was grocery shopping. When I saw the eggplant I figured it would be big enough to fit 20 words, yet small enough to be "portable." I cut the eggplant in half, then began writing using a stick from outside, but found that it wasn't working well at all. So, I chose to use a similar object, a toothpick, to write with. The vegetable began browning even before I finished writing, which made me realize that this would not be a very reliable writing surface, since it doesn't offer any kind of permanence. The project made me think of Socrates in that I wasn't thinking very much about what I was going to write as much as I was thinking what I would use to write with, therefore, my ideas for writing suffered and weren't complex whatsoever. I know my writing technology is not very impressive, but it served its purpose and though its written message will not last through the ages, it is suitable for temporary use. In the end, this project made me so incredibly GRATEFUL for modern technology, I definitely take my computer, pen and paper for granted.

2 comments:

JCanfield said...

That is really creative! I wish I were that clever! lol Nice job.

Steven D. Krause said...

Ah yes, produce! Going to the grocery store for this project is pretty common, but I have to say that I don't recall an eggplant project before. True, it's not permanent, but it is pretty unique.