Monday, April 9, 2007

The Most Important Web Guideline

I found Spiderpro to be the most beneficial in terms of this revision assignment, and I also found that the most important guideline to follow in web design is to keep it simple. Spiderpro’s section on Navigation seems to relate very well to this idea, and is an area that I wanted to focus on for my web page revision. Since I like to see things on the web that are simple and easy to follow, I wanted my website to have the same effect. Therefore, I looked to Spiderpro’s tips: “Do always apply textual links,” “Do supply a link home,” “Do use a table of contents,” “Do use short routes,” “Do keep menu items related,” etc. The ideas seemed somewhat obvious and like common sense; however, not having much of a background in web page design, it was helpful to be reminded of the “obvious” elements that go into the design process. After reading the Navigation section, I looked at my initial web page and knew I needed to format the homepage differently in order to include clear links to other pages and make sure that an audience outside of the class would be able to navigate and understand the site easily and thoroughly with little effort on their part. Collectively, Spiderpro’s tips embody the idea of the user-friendly web page, and are presented in a simple way, unlike Lynch and Horton in their Web Style Guide, which was much more dense and difficult to follow.

No comments: